Wednesday, March 11, 2009

This is kind of a long post

So right as Elliot was starting to feel a little better, Graham went from just having a cough and runny nose to being full blown sick. On Wed. I took his temperature and it was a little over 102 so I called the Dr. and they told me to bring him in right away. I have no idea why because all they did was test him for the flu, which he came up positive for, and then tell me he is too young for any treatment and to just watch him for the next few days to make sure the fever didn't make him seizure (what?!?!) and sleep next to him so that I would hear if his breathing became too labored and take him to the ER. Great. So all I have to do is watch my son to make sure he doesn't seizure or stop breathing? No problem. I'm not freaked out by that at all.
I fell asleep with Graham on the couch around 11:00 and for the next hour he woke up every 15 minutes screaming until I rocked him back to sleep. It was too much for me to sleep in 15 minute intervals so I decided I would just stay up with him all night. What a night. His fever crept up a little over 103 (that seemed so high to me but apparently baby's temperatures can get up to 105 before you need to start worrying. Who knew? Probably everyone but me) and he kept up with the 15 minute naps until around 3:00 am when his fever finally broke. He slept great for about an hour and then woke up in full meltdown mode. I rocked him, bounced him, and patted his butt, but nothing was working and I was so overly tired by this point I just couldn't take it anymore. I gave him to Elliot who put him in bed with him, rocked him for about 5 minutes and both of them were fast asleep. I was so annoyed. Why didn't he do that for me?
That was the worst of the it and it seems like he has fully recovered at this point. But this stupid flu didn't go away without leaving awfulness in it's wake. While Graham was sick, he would wake up about 5 times throughout the night crying because he couldn't breath or he was coughing and I would go in there and put him back to sleep. Well, somewhere in this last week, this night waking has turned into a habit (nooooo!!!!!) and I am not a fan. Graham started sleeping through the night on his own at 2 months and it had absolutely nothing to do with anything I did. One night he was waking up every three hours to be fed, and the next night he slept an entire 12 hours. I was a little surprised and a lot ecstatic. I had escaped the awfulness of having to teach him to sleep through the night!! Yeah!! Until now. Even though he has been well for the last several nights, he still wakes up multiple times crying, and when the crying is ignored, it turns into screaming. This is not good. I am so mad at this stupid flu virus for coming into our happy home and ruining the good thing we had going! I am praying Graham fixes this night waking problem on his own and I don't have to resort to other methods (anyone looking to adopt an adorable 6 month old?). We shall see.
In other news, it was 80 degrees yesterday!!! So crazy that in the same week it could snow and then be summer weather. We decided to make the most of the wonderful weekend (and last few days of Elliot's spring break) and go to the park for a picnic.
Graham was in charge of bringing the water.
After lunch he decided to lay back and relax a little.
I took the opportunity to try out my new roller blades. I almost killed myself in the parking lot when I accidentally took off down a steep hill, but miracle of all miracles, I am still here today. I really need to work on braking.The picnic apparantly took a lot out of Graham.


The Zookeeper said...

I am glad to hear everyone is feeling better. And angry to hear that it is so warm there. But glad to hear that you guys are taking advantage. I think I am schizo.